Friday 25 July 2014

When the cluebat fails.

I know it's been a long time since I lasted posted an update, but I need to get something off my chest.

If you read my last post, you'll know that I was starting off a high-level Pathfinder campaign for some  characters. Well, it's going really quite well. But my last session, things went a bit odd.

The characters had decided to go and rescue a city that's in the middle of an internal coup attempt (thanks to the machinations of one of the groups of bad guys in the campaign). They teleported into the castle, had a few moments to orient themselves, when... BOOM! The floor basically exploded underneath them, the ceiling collapsed, and they tumbled into the dungeons.

The first thing they heard when they started to recover from their fall was someone somewhere complaining that "if you'd just waited ten more minutes, nobody will be able to prepare for the other attacks!"

So, imagine my surprise when, after finding the bad guys who just blew up the castle (in my traditional NPC naming style, they were Guy, Fawkes, Gunn, Pahdr, Trey's son Enplut) and learning where other attacks were due to take place...

They did nothing.

Seriously. Absolutely nothing. Well, they decided eventually to go and fight off the dragon that was tearing down the city gates, but I gave them half an hour of real time before the temple got hit, and another twenty minutes real time before the waterfront got dropped into the river.

Fortunately, it hasn't derailed my plot, but I'm still a bit baffled about the decision to not try and do anything at all to save lots of innocents.

No comments:

Post a Comment