Wednesday 22 April 2009

City of Heroes: Rolesnoring

I might need a time-out.

For the first time since 3rd September 2005, I'm finding it difficult to log into City of Heroes and actually have fun.

To be quite honest, this bothers me more than it perhaps should, but the fact of the matter is that until very recently (towards the end of last year) I was constantly excited about logging in to the game.

For the first several months, it was all about levelling up my main, Shadowe. It was a new game (to me), my first ever MMO, and I was enjoying PuGs and just bimbling around putting the smackdown on every bad guy I could find.

Then I decided to try and mix in my other passion - roleplaying. I'd never RPd online before. I was a strictly Pen and Paper guy.

Shadowe is a character that I originally created back in 1999/2000. Perhaps unfortunately, perhaps fortunately, I was in a really bad state back then. I won't bore you with all the details, but the term "EPIC FAIL" pretty much describes what my life was like, with the sole exception of my girlfriend (now wife). I'd managed to scrape together enough cash to support my RP habit, though, and had managed to get my hands on a copy of the 2nd Edition of the DC Heroes RPG. Nice system, really, as long as you don't try to read too much into the character stats.

Anyway, I created a hero. Richard Huntington, scientist extraordinaire. Sort of a cross between Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark - more money than God, genius intellect, high-tech - and created a backstory (a slight twist on the traditional "radiation accident") to cover the powers I wanted. I simultaneously created his sister, Samantha, and an enemy. Cool. But no one to play with.

That original write up for Shadowe is currently languishing in my DC Heroes RPG box, which is on the bookshelf behind my PC desk. Since then, Shadowe has been written up for Champions and Mutants & Masterminds ( http://www.chemlak.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Shadowe.pdf ), but he's been played in City of Heroes.

I started RPing in City of Heroes in 2006 - somewhere around May or June, I think - and have been doing so almost non-stop ever since. And I really do mean non-stop. The only thing that's prevented me from doing so has been not actually being at home or other roleplaying commitments.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I play on the European servers, primarily on Union, and that's where my RP takes place.

3 years. There have been ups and downs, stresses and laughter, and overall it's been a lot of fun, but recently it feels as though the shine has come off. There's a lot of factors in this, notably that a number of people have left the game, and I miss them and their characters, and a lot of the "new blood" seems to be... well, the word that springs to mind is "uppity". That's a little ridiculous, I know, but I have 3 years of history for my character - he's been saving the City and the world for 3 years, and I've put a lot of love and effort into him and his relationships, and to have these young whippersnappers turn up and devalue and dismiss that effort and time... yeah, it gets on my nerves. Like I said - ridiculous, really, because RP online is PRETENDY FUN TIME GAMES ( http://wadewilson.livejournal.com/11285.html ).

However, that doesn't change the way I feel, which is almost marginalised. I sometimes wonder if a decent, wide-reaching plotline of the sort that happened shortly after I started RPing in CoH would help things, but the fragmentation of the RP community simply puts me off.

Thus I've diversified my RP, by starting my Sunday night M&M game, among other things, and I'm hoping that in the near future inspiration will strike me, giving me even more reason to dive back into my spandex and superpowers. Because the plodding along that I'm doing right now is quite dull.

8 comments:

  1. Take a break. Game won't go anywhere. Characters won't go anywhere.

    Or...

    Try and get a local game going using DC Heroes, or whatever other system you'd prefer that you've got Shadowe statted for. Try that for a while.

    Or...

    Step away entirely from RP and try some fiction starring Shadowe. Often I think what can drive me crazy about campaigns over the long term is just what you're talking about - OTHER PLAYERS. So just take them out of the equation. Write your own stories.

    Or...

    Something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking a break is proving surprisingly difficult. I simply don't want to. Weird, huh?

    I'd love to get a local game going, set up for superheroes. My current RP commitments are proving a little problematic... maybe once my D&D game has reached "we're bored" status...

    Fiction! My OTHER other love. Good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling, I've tried to branch out into other MMO's, but..

    Eh, CoH has been my first true MMO love, longest played, but the game, the direction and the RP have just not been gelling with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I've been looking at the RP Supergroups lately, and most have either closed down due to lack of input or loss players. if you're not all experiencing the same stuff together, then it all falls apart, and with people leaving for (RP) pastures new, it's harder to create those shared experiences.

    However... The Militia seems to keep on growing. Not the SG (although that does too), but the group of friends who come together to share the RP thing. If you want to come over and hang out on our forums for a bit, maybe even think about bringing a character over, then you know you'd be assured a warm welcome. Same goes for you, Z! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that this may sound a little silly, but I've got a peculiar opinion about The Militia as an RP supergroup (don't ask me where it came from, because I have no clue, and I don't have any evidence to back this feeling up) - they seem very cliquish and superior.

    Bear in mind that this is NOT an expression of how I feel about the various members I have met, who have all proven themselves to be fantastic people and a lot of fun to spend time with... but I just can't get the thought that there's this cadre of disapproval floating around in it, and that disapproval is pointed at firstly anyone who RPs at GG (which I certainly do) and secondly at anyone who doesn't "fit".

    Bear in mind that my characters have met various members of The Militia and never had a problem with them, I have met several of the players and think they're great people, and my wife was a member on one of her toons for a while...

    I just can't get over this niggling feeling.

    Perhaps it's because while the Militia certainly take part in community plots and I know that there are frequently events in which they are involved... I just never see them in-game. Ever. They seem to mysteriously appear and vanish, leaving in their wake a sense of "we are awesome and you should be grateful that we have deigned to acknowledge your existence, plebian fool".

    Again, not to say that that is actually what the attitude actually IS, but that's certainly how it comes across to me.

    All that said, though, I have no particular objection to RPing with people from The Militia - I'd just like to feel comfortable doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL... no worries. I'm not about to get upset about opinions, we all have 'em after all! :D

    I think the fact that we turn up then vanish tends to be because most of the members have many other commitments (other SGs, characters, RL, etc), so we get together for one night a week, then go our separate ways until the following week! That style of play doesn't suit everyone, especially when a lot of RPers are used to nightly gaming, while we do tend to get a lot of altitus suffers! ;)

    Anyhow, no offence taken and hopefully none given. I knew the SG wouldn't suit Shadowe, but if you or Pix fancied hanging out on the forum occasionally, then you'd be more than welcome, mate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness me, certainly no offence taken or intended!

    I suppose the most important things for me to ask are:

    1) Forum linkeh, please.
    2) If I don't register, are there bits I won't be able to see?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forum linkage is http://themilitia.org.uk/, and yeah, there are some hidden bits, but not much. Mostly it's just the OOC bits connected to RP, so browsers can read the RP bits without having the stories being ruined for them. ;) Plus you can't post without registering, but that's just to protect us from spambots!

    ReplyDelete