Tuesday 28 April 2009

City of Heroes: Issue 15 wtf-ery

Okay, so Issue 15 of City of Heroes has been announced... and I have to say that as a long-term existing player, it looks SHIT.

I'm not a big one for swearing, even online, and at least one of my friends will be looking at this post and quaking in her boots about how SEVERELY pissed off I am.

On the basis of the original announcement, here's what I15 has in store...

A new TF and a new SF
Some new cossie options
Tweaks to an existing feature

...

Yes, that's it.

Champions Online is just around the corner, and THAT is what the Paragon Studio developers have decided to combat it with.

Now, in fairness, Positron is making an announcement tonight (at stupid o'clock in the morning, UK time), and there's a chance that he will tell us something that will wow me and turn my mood around, but if that is the case, here's a message for NCSoft's marketing department: YOU FUCKED UP THE ORDER TO DO IT IN.

If Positron's address had come first, and if it does wow us all with what we can expect, then people wouldn't mind so much about the dearth of content in I15. But this... this is MADNESS.

As it stands, I'm unlikely to just quit CoH. I love the game, I love the content, and I made some damn good friends from playing it, but I need something to blow me away. Something to make me sit up and beg for the wondrous new content and options the devs are giving us.

If I don't get it... well, I'll seriously reconsider paying for my accounts. I know for a fact that I'm not alone.

6 comments:

  1. If they're not working on an expansion, I'll eat my hat. Well, I would if I wore one.

    Still: it would be foolish to announce in this way if that was the case.

    Wouldn't exactly be the first time, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given up bothering with the issue announcements from NCSoft. I think we all know they can't make well timed announcements, and there's plenty of content within the game that I'm still interested in playing with or without these lacklustre additions.

    Mind you, here's hoping for CoX2! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MADDNESS? Yes actually.

    strange times at paragon High.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the basis of things that Positron said, I have reached the conclusion that:

    a) The autopublish feature on the US website had the I15 announcement set to release too early

    b) The massive story/content issue that we were told would be in the issue after Architect has been bumped even further back into the release schedule... again.

    I'm not all that likely to keep running my second account, after this. Sure, my main account will keep going, for the time being, but I'm now feeling severely let down.

    I want to see more of the Paragon City story! I've been waiting for more of the Paragon City story for quite a while. And I'm not getting it any time soon™.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you've said, Chem, so I'm going to stick to telling my own stories and RPing within CoX (which, to be honest, is what keeps me coming back anyway!).

    I just thinks it's a terrible shame that so many people seem to be viewing this as "the last straw" and leaving the game...

    ReplyDelete
  6. After my significant rant yesterday, I'm a lot calmer today (though no less... frustrated). I don't think that anyone really sees this as "the last straw", though. There are a large number of long-term veterans who have decided not to renew their subscriptions as a result of disatisfaction with the dearth of information coming out of Paragon Studios which, coupled with what appears to be an attitude of "we like the direction the game is taking, so you players should be thankful to us!" from the developers. (Bear in mind that I'm certain that's not the case - I suspect that marketing have some grand scheme up their sleeves, but it's *incomprehensible* to us veteran players, because they keep changing the goal posts. Over and over and over again.)

    I have hope (still, which almost seems miraculous) that upcoming changes to the game will draw people back, and I suspect that Champions Online will not be the CoH-destroyer that many have predicted.

    We shall see. I just hope that the developers forget they ever invented the term "Soon™"

    ReplyDelete